More and more people are getting into the gluten-free diet. Some of them are forced to this kind of diet because of celiac disease while others do it in order to lose weight. So, how could really one keep up with a gluten-free diet? The answers and some tips can be found below.
- Choose organic foods over artificial foods. Focusing on fresh and gluten-free foods is the best and easiest way to stay healthy and fit. Do not rely so much on foods that are easy to prepare because they are usually filled with additives or preservatives. Instead, get a load of fruits and vegetables. They are all-natural and contains 0% of gluten.
- Take time to check labels. It takes a lot of patience to find foods that are free from gluten. Don’t feel anxious because a lot of products with zero gluten can already be found in the market. The most important thing to keep in mind is to always make sure that rye, malt, barley, oats and especially wheat are not found on the list of ingredients when buying foods. Many have a common notion that only cakes, breads and cookies have gluten, but as a matter of fact, other processed foods also have it, e.g. sauces, gravies and soups. If you come to think of it, this is really hard to absorb, but once you get used to it and once you have found gluten-free brands, it will become a lot easier.
- Some toiletry products also contain gluten. Many of us are unaware that some brands of shampoos, soaps, lotions, lipsticks are not free from gluten, and so this makes it so essential to still check the ingredients of non-food products. Just an added info, Play-Doh, likewise, have gluten content, which makes it necessary to keep away from this specific product or from people who are gluten-intolerant.
- Show your creativeness on the meals that you prepare. After you have identified the foods or products that are gluten-free, it’s time that you make use of your imagination in your kitchen. You can cook your own gluten-free recipes, extract recipes from magazines or from the internet, or you can simply modify your old recipes by using gluten-free ingredients.
- It is still okay to dine out. Being on a gluten-free diet does not mean that you anymore can’t eat out. It’s good to know that there are already restaurants that serve foods without gluten. However, you still need to confer with the chef if the food that they’ll be serving is gluten-free or not. Remember to order foods that do not have sauces or coating in case you are in doubt with the ingredients that were used.
- You are not the only one in this kind of situation. Do not feel depressed if you can’t eat anything that you want because there are other people with a similar condition. What you can do is to join support groups in your neighbourhood or in the internet. Joining such group can help uplift your spirit. You can learn a lot from other members, too.