For the celiac sufferers, reducing gluten is important for the recovery and treatment. But, some of them still confuse to cook or how to control the gluten consumption. As celiac sufferer, of course you must skip your favorite food that contain of gluten. Actually, you still be able to eat all foods you like. Yeah, you can adapt the recipes to become gluten-free.
How? You want to know it, right? Here is guideline that you need to know.
1. How to adjust recipes.
All foods can be customized to become gluten-free meals. The following are guideline for gluten-free cooking.
• First of all, pick a recipe that provide very little flour or gluten. You must focus on the ingredients which need to be adjusted. Some recipes are allowing you to omit flour. Prepare simple fruits and vegetables, and then think to add or remove ingredients you need to be avoided.
• Cook the basic sauces and gravies that usually used in casseroles and soups.
• If you need another alternative, you can look at gluten-free cookbook for similar recipe. Comparing the amount is the main key. Keep the size nearly the same like the recipe. For flour and other components which work as thickener, you need to compare to the liquids amount. It’s better for you to give the same quantity of liquid to get less starch to thicken than flour.
• Consume home-made gluten-free alternate ingredients. You can use gluten-free macaroni, bread and corn tortillas.
2. Wheat Flour Replacement.
For celiac sufferers, they need to reduce wheat flour consumption. Here are some guidelines to replace wheat flour with other ingredients.
• Flouring or breading meats.
Remove it or try substitute with cornmeal, potato flakes, any mixture of rice, bean or sorghum flours. You can use crushed potato chips, gluten-free cereal or gluten-free bread crumbs.
• Gravies and sauces.
Choose sweet rice flour or cornstarch. Before you buy the item, see the product box to know the ingredients of liquid and thickener proposition.
• Pudding and pie fillings.
Use potato starch, tapioca and arrowroot. When starches get watery after a day, the mild flavored gluten-free flour can be used. Get gluten-free flour combination with less “gritty feel” like sweet rice flour or general rice flour.