McCarthy gave birth in 2002 to a son, Evan, who was eventually diagnosed with autism. Angry at what she considered misinformation from Evan’s doctors, McCarthy researched the issue herself, and found parents who believed that a gluten-free and casein-free diet helped their autistic children. (Casein is a substance found in most milk and cheese.) Today, McCarthy, who wrote “Louder Than Words” about the diet and its effect on Evan, says her son has improved tremendously. “I’m here to offer a little treatment with a little hope,” she has said.
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck on Gluten Free Diet
- Keith Olbermann on Gluten Free Diet
- Gwyneth Paltrow On Gluten-Free Diet
- Zooey Deschanel Went Gluten-Free
- Celebrity Weight Loss Transformations: Before and After (PHOTOS)